Don’t be that guy at the gym who leaves blood all over the bars from ripped hands. Don’t be that galwho posts pictures of ripped hands all over Facebook. Don’t be that guy who walks around the gym smelling like New Skin for weeks at a time. Protect your hands!!!
Yes, protect your hands! I have been doing CrossFit for over three years and I still tape my hands when I see 75 pull-ups posted on the board. And I still protect my thumbs when I have to clean or snatch more than 20 times in a row. I know my hands. And I know they have a threshold.
I remember walking into the medical section after the 100s workout at the 2013 Regionals to get a well-deserved massage only to find a bunch of weeping men with their hands bleeding and torn up from all the pull-ups. And all I could think was; do they know they have to deadlift in an hour?!?
Remember that ripped hands means that your workout will suffer for a whole week. So choose wisely. Take the time to tape your hands before a workout or see your performance suffer while your hands heal up.
Here are some tips on how to protect your hands:
- Prepare strips of tape in advance and keep them in your gym bag (see attached video);
- Use gymnastics grips, little pieces of yoga mats, gloves, etc;
- Don’t use too much chalk. Chalk has a drying agent which can cause callous build up and be a
contributing factor to hand ripping;
- To get rid of the excess chalk, wash your hands after your workout and use moisturizing cream;
- Take care of your calluses. Do not shave them off completely! Calluses are your body’s way of
naturally protecting your hands. Use a pumice stone at the end of your shower when your hands are soft and humid. Come and see me and I’ll tell you where I found my miracle pumice stone for 10$!
The bottom line is, know your hands and protect them! Know when they need to be taped and know when they need a little TLC. And don’t be ashamed to use tape, yoga mats or gloves! I guarantee you that the weeping men at the Regionals were regretting not tapping their hands during those deadlifts!